Course duration: 13 x 2 hour classes (1 week = 2 sessions)
The Level 1 Award for Payroll in Business qualification aims to provide learners with a comprehensive range of knowledge and the practical skills that they will be able to use as a payroll processor for a variety of businesses.
On successful completion of the qualification the learner will have the knowledge and skills to:
• Act as an introduction to payroll record keeping and processing, giving the candidate the necessary skills to record financial payroll transactions in a computerised environment and in line with Real Time Information requirements.
• Give candidates the necessary knowledge and skills to assess their own competence in carrying out a range of basic day-to-day payroll routines and activities using a computerised payroll system. The activities will include the calculation of pay data and processing of that data including contributions to work based pension schemes, using basis day-to-day payroll processing skills.
• Give candidates the necessary knowledge and skills to assess the implications of maintaining accuracy when performing any practical payroll tasks.
• Understand the importance of security and confidentiality in performing any payroll task in a computerised environment
Learners successfully completing the qualification will have a knowledge and understanding of the services, advice and guidance that can be offered to businesses by HMRC, NICO, and other payroll agencies. They will have the skills required to prepare, check and use source documents from which the payroll is processed using a computerised payroll system as required under Real Time Information requirements.
As learners progress through the course of study they will develop skills that will enable them to gather the required information in order to prepare an employee payroll record using either the HMRC Basic Tools kit or commercially available payroll software. They will further acquire the skills necessary to calculate the gross pay due to employees from a simple range of information sources and for either weekly or monthly pay periods. The learner will be able to process the payroll accurately producing the net pay due to the employee and updating all internal payroll records. Furthermore, they will be able to produce a range of reports detailing payroll information.
The Level 1 Award in Payroll for Business qualification is specifically aimed at learners who wish to gain an introduction to the study of payroll and gain a qualification at Level 1 of the regulated qualification framework, either from a point of no previous knowledge, or having worked in a payroll environment with no accredited payroll qualifications.
Learners who are considering a career as a self-employed practitioner will find the course invaluable as a starting platform, as will business owners who would like to be actively involved in the gathering and processing of payroll data and keeping of payroll records for their business.
Units and Learning Outcomes
Unit title: Principles of Payroll Preparation Y/616/9096
1. Understand fundamental employment and data protection legislation relevant to payroll
2. Understand what constitutes gross pay for different payroll periods including leavers
3. Understand the difference between statutory and voluntary deductions.
4. Understand the principles of the PAYE & NIC systems in the UK.
5. Understand the information required to prepare and submit an employee payroll record under HMRC Real Time Information regulations
6. Understand the internal and external procedures required for finalising the payroll
7. Understand HMRC reporting requirements
Unit title: Fundamentals of Payroll Processing D/616/9097
1. Be able to calculate gross pay for different payroll periods and situations
2. Be able to determine the amount of income tax to be deducted from Gross Pay
3. Be able to determine the amount of National Insurance Contributions to be deducted from Gross Pay
4. Be able to apply voluntary deductions
5. Be able to complete internal and statutory procedures for a leaver
6. Be able to produce the necessary payroll forms and summaries
Unit title: Computerised Payroll Processing H/616/9098
1. Be able to set up a computerised payroll system using commercially available payroll software
2. Be able to set up employee records and payroll data on a computerised payroll system
3. Be able to enter details of gross pay into the computerised payroll system
4. Be able to process the payroll
5. Be able to back-up and /or restore payroll data
Assessment, Achievement and Grading
Methods of assessment
To gain the IAB Level 1 Award in Payroll for Business qualification learners will be required to complete the following assessments:
Unit Title Method of Assessment
Principles of Payroll Preparation Knowledge test
Fundamentals of Payroll Processing Assignment
Computerised Payroll Processing Assignment
Achievement and grading
To successfully achieve the qualification learners must demonstrate competence in each of the mandatory units of which the qualification is comprised. Learners are assessed as Pass or Fail. Minimum levels of achievement are set as follows:
The qualification is not graded. On successful completion of each of the mandatory units the learner will be awarded a Pass in the unit completed.
There are no formal entry requirements for the Level 1 Award in Computerised Payroll qualification. However, it is recommended that prospective entrants have basic skills in numeracy and literacy.
Course Commences Monday 21st September 2020 - 9.45am - 11.454am